Monday, March 3, 2014

Umami Bomb

Why do people like Chinese food? Is it because of the General Tao’s Chicken, the fried egg rolls, the novelty of using chopsticks, or the fortune cookies filled with vague yet forever optimistic fortunes?

The answer lies in the magical properties of soy sauce. Unbeknownst to many, this signature component of Chinese cooking is made of fermented bean paste. Although fermented bean paste sounds disgusting, many people’s taste buds find it absolutely delightful because it contains Monosodium Glutamate or MSG. MSG, a synthesized form of the amino acid glutamate, is the fairy dust that makes food more appetizing by producing an umami flavor.


The most recently discovered of the five basic flavors, umami means “deliciousness” in Japanese. Just from the name, you can tell this flavor is really tasty. Researchers have gone crazy trying to learn more about this new flavor and how it influences our eating behavior. Even before the discovery of umami, people have been unknowingly attracted to its flavor. The classic pairing of cheese on marinara sauce is so successful because both cheese and tomatoes naturally contain glutamate. Together they form what the food industry calls an umami bomb, basically a party for your taste buds.

In this research paper published by the Journal of Nutrition & Food Sciences in 2012, these
four scientists found that not only are there glutamate receptors in the tongue, there are also glutamate receptors in the stomach. The stomach can also sense the other 19 amino acids, but it is most sensitive to glutamate. How crazy is that? Your stomach can taste glutamate!

The paper also found that eating glutamate increased protein digestion and protein absorption leading people to feel fuller. When I read this, I was so surprised. Glutamate is supposed to make me full, but why do I finish a bag of Doritos and then automatically reach for another one? I don’t know the answer, but food brands are taking advantage of this addictive nature of umami. By using ingredients that naturally contain glutamate, food companies are trying to incorporate the umami flavor into their food products.

At home, I am rarely exposed to MSG because my mom thinks it has negative effects on the body. She prefers to use fresh ingredients and I actually enjoy her cooking, much to her pleasure. While my mom doesn’t use MSG, Chinese restaurants are not at all hesitant to add MSG, because MSG is a cheap flavor enhancer that gives food an extra boost of flavor. Eating MSG loaded food once in a while is not too bad, but after eating too much MSG, I always feel nauseous. Perhaps, instead of using synthetic glutamate, use ingredients that naturally contain glutamate to make an umami bomb. 

_______________________________________________________________________
I’m a high school senior who wants to enjoy all the world has to offer, especially the food. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog post. I hadn't ever heard of "Umami" to when I saw your post was about an umami bomb, I had no idea you were going to discuss taste receptors.

    And I also didn't know that there were receptors for amino acids in our stomach. That is very cool! In terms of these receptors, I wonder what our body actually does with this information?

    And congratulations on getting the links to work!

    Thank you.
    Mr. T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once won an MSG cooking contest...really! I have a food processor for doing so.

    My favorite source of umami is mushrooms. We search the northwoods of Michigan every weekend in May for morels.

    ReplyDelete